Guide to Travel and Subsistence Expenses incurred as part of approved Study Leave

This page contains information for dentists in training posts on their entitlement to claim back their travel and/or subsistence expenditure incurred whilst participating in an approved study leave event.

Please read these notes carefully before booking travel or accommodation:

  • Original receipts should accompany every claim form to verify the authenticity of all expenditure detailed upon it. Claims should be submitted within six weeks of the event taking place and absolutely no later than three months.
  • HEE South West expects travel to be on the date the event is scheduled where it is commutable (for example, if the venue is less than 100 miles ‘door to door’).


You must use the most cost effective transport means possible. HEE South West reserves the right to only reimburse the cost of the cheapest fare.

  • By Car: Candidates will be paid at public transport rate of 28 pence per mile (or a subsequently revised mileage rate as described in schedule 17 of the T&Cs for doctors in training, last revised 2016). The shortest practicable route should be taken and car parking fees will be reimbursed on production of receipts.

If claiming mileage expenses you must have a valid MOT certificate, relevant road tax and insurance which includes cover for incidental business mileage. All of these documents are a requirement under the Corporate Manslaughter Act 2007 and it is your responsibility to ensure that these are in place before embarking on any travel for study leave using your private vehicle.

Please ensure you consider what travel is safe and appropriate before using public transport. 

  • By Rail: Supersavers and standard class rail fares only. The most cost effective fare must be sought. If possible, doctors should purchase tickets in advance to ensure this. Receipts for rail travel must include the date of travel and the start and finish locations.
  • By Taxi: Expenses will be reimbursed for short journeys only such as from the nearest train station to the venue where public transport is not practical, e.g. time of day. A receipt will be required.
  • By Air: Payment for travel by air must not exceed the total cost of travelling by public transport. HEE South West will not pay for travel by air outside of the United Kingdom.

Overnight accommodation

  • Requests for reimbursement of overnight accommodation costs will only be granted where it is not reasonable to travel on the day of the event (for example, the distance to the event is greater than 100 miles ‘door to door’).
  • Accommodation costs to be covered by HEE South West will be limited to the duration of the event plus one night, either before or after the event dates.
  • Overnight costs will be reimbursed up to a maximum limit of £120 per night  outside of London and £150 inside London (bed and breakfast).


  • For study leave confined to a single day, refreshments and meals are normally included in the event fee. However if lunch is not provided there is a meal allowance of £5. 
  • In the case of a residential event there is an evening meal allowance of £15.00 per day.
  • A receipt that shows a detailed breakdown of food purchased must be provided. 
  • No payment will be made for alcoholic beverages under any circumstances.
  • No subsistence will be provided for online courses.

Receipts must be provided for all expenses otherwise your claim may not be processed. Receipts and certificate of attendance for the study leave activity should be attached individually to the expenses claim form used by your employing organisation.

Dentists are advised to keep a copy of the form and receipts they submit in case of problem or a query with payment.