South West Deanery Foundation Training Course for Dental Therapists
The Southwest Deanery will be running a Dental Foundation Therapist Scheme from September 2023. The scheme will run until 31st August 2024 and is open to newly qualified DTH.
The Foundation Dental Therapists are salaried and are required at their practice placements three days per week where Educational Supervisors support and mentor with a focus around developing clinical experience alongside the completion of a HEE ePortfolio. Treating patients at the practice placements will enable the Foundation Dental Therapist to gain a range of experience within their scope of practice under excellent support.
Benefit to the Foundation Dental Therapy Scheme reflects the same benefits a NHS employee would have including a pension. The Foundation will be allowed to undertake other jobs on the other two days a week either at the same practice or another practice if they wish.
During the Therapy programme applicants will be required to complete the following to satisfactory complete the programme:
• Evidence of paediatric extractions.
• Evidence of completing a pulpotomy.
• Placement of stainless-steel preformed crowns.
• 22 Tutorials approximately, one every 2 weeks.
• 2 DOPS that form part of the Early-Stage Review.
• 12 ADEPTS including 1 TPD Buddy ADEPT.
• 6 Case Based Discussions.
• 12 Reflective logs.
• 1 Case presentation.
• 1 Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire.
• 1 Multisource Feedback.
• 2 Cycle Clinical Audit.
• Participation in at least 12 study days [ This will be a paid working day].
• Participation in the Community Engagement Projects.
• Timely completion of tasks in the ePortfolio.
• IRCP and FRCP.
The current payments for involvement in the scheme are:
Foundation Therapists’ salary paid at £16449.80 for the three days
Travel and subsistence for attending study days, up to £600, can be claimed