What evidence do we wish to see in the portfolio?
All evidence in the portfolio must be specific to the applicant. It is not necessary to include reams of practice documentation on practice procedures or GDC publications.
The types of evidence which are deemed as valid are:
- Certificates relating to verifiable CPD courses in the UK, especially those run by Health Education England that meet competencies e.g. Ionising Radiation courses, child protection courses
- Audits undertaken ~ copies of the audit, e.g. audits in NHS hospitals. Audits can be undertaken during the PLVE period in practice and with the mentor.
- Reflective writing of the applicant on topics from the PLVE Framework e.g. Prescribing protocol for antibiotics.
A cv is a useful piece of evidence to include. Please highlight any time recently spent in an NHS training post, e.g. DCT posts, as certain aspects of these posts will be deemed as having trained to an equivalent level. Any post which involved looking after NHS patients’ dental needs may allow assessment of comparable experience.
What should your PDP contain?
- The domain area you wish to show equivalence to – how you will do it, and by when.
- Record keeping
- Audit & Peer review
Methods of updating may be:
- Personal tutorials
- Structured practice meetings and peer review meetings (notes of these will be regarded as evidence)
- Attendance on courses approved for verifiable CPD.
- Audits approved by the NHS Local Approval Panel for audit and peer review
What your success criteria will be?
E.g. What evidence you can product to show that you have satisfactorily completed the item
A date by which you expect to have completed the task
Resources for building your portfolio
Below are a number of resources to help you build your PLVE final portfolio which will comprise of evidence to show you understand how the NHS works and that you are able to work satisfactorily in an NHS practice.
Part of the portfolio is showing you have carried out an appropriate range and scope of NHS treatment during the year.
- Performers List Validation by Experience Assessment Evidence Checklist
- PLVE Application form - Initial clinical experience check list
- Enhanced CPD Guidance
- Performers List Validation by Experience - Logbook
- Action Plan Breakdown
- Personal Development Plan - GDC Template
- Additional weekly logs
- Additional monthly log
- Reflective writing template
- Reflective writing template 2
- Direct Observation of Procedural Skills; New Patient Exam
- Direct Observation of Procedural Skills; A Simple Restoration
- PLVE DOPS - Mentor's declaration
- PLVE ADEPT 2018
- A Dental Evaluation of Performance (D-EP) worked example
- PLVE CbD 2018
- Example question for CbD form
- PLVE CbD 2018
- Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire
- PLVE Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire Summary Sheet
- PLVE Multi-Source Feedback Form
- PLVE Competency Evidence Check
- FGDP Advancing Dental Care - Guidance and Standards
- Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness Programme - Published Guidance
- Delivering Better Oral Health and Press Release
- Tutorial Guide for General Dental Practice
- COPDEND Guidance on Reflective Commentaries
- BSP Flowchart implementing the 2017
- BDJ Treatment Planning in Dentistry
- Clinical Record keeping and Good Practice guidelines FGDP Publication
The PGDE now holds all the electronic audit packs (e.g clinical records, quality of radiographs, management of emergencies in dental practice etc). If you would like any of the examples sent to you please contact Katherine Sugg.