Training Programme Director: Konrad Staines
HEE South West has the following Oral Medicine training post in National Recruitment Spring 2023.
For Job description details please follow the link below.
The trainee should develop:
- a consultant approach
- an interest in continuing education
- an interest in teaching and teaching skills,
- a continued interest in research methods and techniques,
- a responsible attitude and commitment to the training of hospital staff
- experience and knowledge of NHS management
- and an interest in professional activity
Clinical competency achievement as outlined in the curriculum.
Active participation in research is welcomed, however, there will be considerable time pressures on you during ST training and large projects are usually impractical.
You may consider:
- undertaking a small project
- playing a specific part in a larger scale project
- preparing papers for publication – case reports, review articles etc
As well as aiming to publish in peer reviewed journals you should aim to present/ publish audit(s) in local, regional and national meetings. You may have the opportunity to review papers for other peer reviewed journals.
You should attend a course which covers educational theory and practical teaching skills.
You should try to gain experience in teaching to as many groups as possible e.g.:
In as many formats as possible e.g.:
- One-to one
- Larger lectures
If possible you should try to gain examining experience at undergraduate or postgraduate level. The Dental Faculties of the Royal Colleges are often looking for MFDS/MJDS examiners.
It is difficult to be prescriptive in what you need to do to prepare for this part of the exam. Examples of things to consider are:
- Attending management and leadership courses
- Attending management meetings at your Trust
- Chairing meetings within your department
- Becoming involved with the TGG committee
- Shadowing your Clinical Director/ Specialty Lead /Directorate manager etc
- Attending MCN, LDC and other meetings concerned with organisation of local dental services.
Evidencing your progress
ISCP will host your online portfolio. Make sure you update your information about your placement including your TPD, ES and Clinical supervisors.